When you are planning your next camping trip, it is disheartening to discover that mildew and mold has found its way into your camping equipment. Mold are live spores that typically grow in dark and damp locations like a tent-floor that did not dry out properly. Mildew is a mold type that thrives in a humid location. Any items affected by mildew or mold will probably have musty smells that are not only annoying but unhealthy if you do not take the necessary precautions.
Wash all your camping equipment in a solution of 1 cup of Lysol to 1 gallon of water. Now spray and gently scrub the camping equipment. When you scrub use a soft brush using circular motions. This technique does not kill mold spores but it will minimize the smell.
Now use a bleach mixture of 2 tablespoons of bleach to a 1 water pint. Combine this mixture in a clean spray bottle and spray the solution over problematic areas and brush again.
If you have decided to use a mildew and mold cleaner make sure you purchase a brand that is proven to be environmentally friendly. Consider the fact that once your camping equipment is free of mold and mildew you and your family members will be the ones to use these items. Products like Mold-Off have earned a positive reputation for being safe-to-use and effective.
In your efforts to ensure you prevent mildew and mold from affecting your camping gear again, make sure that every item in your camping equipment is completely dry before you pack it away. This needs to be done on a dry and flat surface. When storing your camping equipment the environment needs to be clean, dry and well aired.